What Can a Cosmetic Dental Office Do for You?
In a nutshell, cosmetic dental care can change your life.
Consider the things that go through your mind when you don’t feel confident about your smile. If you have misaligned or discolored teeth, you may hesitate to smile when you’re out in public. A smile is an ice-breaker and the best form of introduction, both socially and professionally.
If you’re hesitating to smile, whether at a date or during an interview, you may be sending the wrong impression. You can come off as being stand-offish or not confident enough. In both scenarios, you may end up losing the opportunity to connect.
If there are things that you don’t like about your smile, we can help get them resolved as soon as possible. Doing so can change your level of self-confidence, and consequently your life.
Please call York Dental Group today if you need a cosmetic dental procedure.
Common Cosmetic Dental Problems
There are undoubtedly countless reasons why someone would want to change their smile’s appearance. Some cosmetic dental problems are present at birth due to genetic conditions while others develop later in life due to lifestyle habits and other factors.
Some common reasons for requiring cosmetic dental care include:
- Misaligned or crooked teeth. Crooked teeth can take away from a smile’s appearance and leave you feeling self-conscious. While severe or foundational misalignment issues require orthodontic intervention, slight crookedness can be corrected via cosmetic intervention.
- Chipped teeth. Chipped teeth don’t look appealing, but the biggest concern is that they also make it easier for bacteria to seep into the inner layers of your tooth, which can lead to tooth decay.
- Stained and discolored teeth. Smoking, consumption of staining beverages, certain medications, trauma, and poor dental hygiene can all result in stained or discolored teeth.
- Gap in teeth. Many people appreciate a gap in teeth and consider it a unique and/or beautiful feature. However, gaps can cause problems with speaking, and if you don’t like how the gap in your teeth looks, feels, or sounds, consider cosmetic dentistry as a solution.
- Unusually small or misshapen teeth. Teeth that don’t fit your facial proportions can make you feel embarrassed and uncomfortable. The same goes for teeth that are significantly misshapen.
- Gummy smile. If you have excessive gum tissue hanging over your teeth, you’re said to have a gummy smile or excessive gingival display. This condition can make your teeth appear shorter or smaller than they are.
- Missing teeth. Missing teeth compromise your smile’s aesthetics and make you feel awkward and embarrassed.
Common Cosmetic Dental Treatments
Cosmetic dental care exists to fix the issues discussed in the previous section. Your dentist may recommend a single cosmetic dental procedure or multiple treatments depending on your unique needs.
Commonly sought-after cosmetic dental procedures include:
Stained or discolored teeth usually respond to teeth whitening. Teeth whitening agents contain hydrogen peroxide, which breaks down the stains on teeth, resulting in a whiter and brighter smile. We offer both in office and at home whitening treatments at our dental office in York, depending on the needs of the patient.
A crown is a custom-made tooth cover. Crowns are traditionally functional restorations, i.e., they are mainly used to restore dental function. However, crowns can also fix many cosmetic dental issues, including misshapen, worn, and missing teeth.
If you have a severely stained smile that cannot be corrected via teeth whitening, the dentist may recommend dental crowns. Dental crowns are also used to replace missing teeth when used to cap implants or support dental bridges.
A veneer is a thin tooth-colored shell bonded to a tooth’s surface to alter its appearance. Veneers fix stained or discolored teeth, chipped teeth, gap teeth, misshapen teeth, and unusually small teeth.
Cosmetic contouring or odontoplasty involves reshaping your tooth enamel to change the appearance of misshapen, uneven, crooked, or unusually short or long teeth.
To perform dental bonding, the dentist applies composite resin to a tooth and then reshapes it to the desired look. Dental bonding is ideal for fixing chipped and discolored teeth.
Gum contouring or reshaping enhances your smile by ensuring that your gum tissue is proportional to your teeth. Individuals with gummy smiles and gum recession are usually good candidates for gum contouring.
Invisalign treatment uses clear aligners to reposition misaligned teeth. Invisalign is popular among older teens and adults looking to correct their bite discreetly without making too many changes to their everyday lives.
Schedule Your Smile Makeover
Are you ready to get the smile makeover you deserve? Please call York Dental Group to schedule a consultation with our experienced dentists.